"The Christianity of history is not Protestantism. If ever there were a safe truth it is this, and Protestantism has ever felt it so; to be deep in history is to cease to be a Protestant." (-John Henry Newman, An Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine).

"Where the bishop is, there let the people gather; just as where ever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church". -St. Ignatius of Antioch (ca 110 AD)a martyr later thrown to the lions, wrote to a church in Asia Minor. Antioch was also where the term "Christian" was first used.

“But if I should be delayed, you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth.” 1 Timothy 3:15

"This is the sole Church of Christ, which in the Creed we profess to be one, holy, catholic and apostolic." -CCC 811

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Formerly atheist blogger Leah Libresco converted to the Catholic Faith

Her online announcement shocked the secular community. Atheist blogger Leah Libresco has announced on her Patheos blog that she has converted to Christianity. In her latest online post, "This is my last post for the Patheos Atheist Portal," she explained her conversion to Catholicism. Libresco said her conversion came from her struggles with the roots of the moral law. Libresco said she inevitably arrived at an understanding that aligns with a Christ-centered world-view.

Source: MySecretAtheist blog
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Libresco said her conversion came from her struggles with the roots of the moral law. Libresco said she inevitably arrived at an understanding that aligns with a Christ-centered world-view.

Libresco found herself constantly exploring this paradigm until she finally accepted the notion that truth and moral goodness come from God. "I believed that the Moral Law wasn't just a Platonic truth, abstract and distant. It turns out I actually believed it was some kind of Person, as well as Truth. And there was one religion that seemed like the most promising way to reach back to that living Truth.

"I asked my friend what he suggests we do now, and we prayed the night office of the Liturgy of the Hours together (I've kept up with that since). Then I suggested hugs and playing Mumford and Sons really, really loudly," she wrote.

"After I changed my mind, I decided to take a little time to make sure I really believed what I thought I believed, before telling my friends, family, and, now, all of you. That left me with the question of what to do about my atheism blog. My solution was to just not write anything I disagreed with. Enough of my friends had accused me of writing in a crypto-Catholic style that I figured no one would notice if I were actually crypto-Catholic for a month and a half (i.e. everything from "Upon this ROC." on).

Libresco admits she struggles with aspects of her newfound Catholic faith. Among them, the church's teaching about homosexuality, but she seems set on a path to explore these specified issues as diligently as she has the overarching existence of a higher power.

Libresco promises to further discuss her ongoing spiritual path in future blog posts.

"This post isn't the final word on my conversion. I'm sure there's a lot more explaining and arguing to do, so be a little charitable in your read of this post and try to give me a little time to expand my ideas over the next few weeks," she writes.

Many people in the secular community question Libresco's massive transition, but at least one prominent atheist has shown his support. On his "Friendly Atheist" blog, Hemant Mehta wrote the following about the conversion:

"It happens. Far less frequently than the other way around, but it happens . I won't pretend to understand whatever she's going through. But whenever you make a big announcement like that, it's like a huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders. It's even harder to do that when you talk about religion so publicly. Anyway, I wish Leah the best."

For the glory of God and His Church!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated by the blog owner.

Thank you and God bless you.

My Blog List

My Calendar