"The Christianity of history is not Protestantism. If ever there were a safe truth it is this, and Protestantism has ever felt it so; to be deep in history is to cease to be a Protestant." (-John Henry Newman, An Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine).

"Where the bishop is, there let the people gather; just as where ever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church". -St. Ignatius of Antioch (ca 110 AD)a martyr later thrown to the lions, wrote to a church in Asia Minor. Antioch was also where the term "Christian" was first used.

“But if I should be delayed, you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth.” 1 Timothy 3:15

"This is the sole Church of Christ, which in the Creed we profess to be one, holy, catholic and apostolic." -CCC 811

Saturday, June 6, 2009

"Intimidation, sparring is no way to evangelize" says Fitzgerald

Source of Article (Jeffrey L. Fitzgerald):
In response to Frank Santos's letter from May 25, I must confess that I am the "Catholic defender" to which he refers. At no time was I rude with Mr. Ventilacion or any other Iglesia ni Cristo member.

Because their "evangelical mission" was located in a public facility (the Umatac Community Center), I attended the event to hear the speaker's comments on the doctrine of the Trinity. I was not disruptive at any time; I only asked for Ventilacion to use the complete Bible verse when justifying his position, instead of relying on a verse fragment, which may skew the meaning of the scriptural text..

This request was the extent of the "disruption." All other engagement beyond my request was initiated by Ventilacion, whom I readily admit is a talented speaker. Even as I was silently listening to him after my request, he insisted on a debate with me that was little more than verbal sparring, even going so far as calling me onto the stage and handing me a microphone. When he saw that I was nervous while speaking in front of so many people, he began making fun of me in his effort to make me look foolish.

Is this the "community outreach" to which Santos refers? Is intimidation now a means of evangelization? To say that I am the disrespectful party in this case borders somewhere between blaming the victim for the crime and outright hypocrisy.

Respect is the secondary issue. Santos implies in his letter that my disagreement with both the content and method of Iglesia ni Cristo's message should be handled "respectfully," and I certainly understand his point and agree with it for the most part. However, the manner of respect being asked in this case is nothing more than silence in the face of opposition. Questions could be asked at the end of the presentation, Santos points out. Yet, without adequate light or materials for questioners to prepare a question based on the speaker's statements, such a question-answer session can serve no real purpose other than to reinforce what had already been said.

I am obliged not only as a Catholic but as a Christian to defend so central a truth as the Trinity. This is not a defense of Catholicism; it is a defense of Christ and is therefore the duty of all Christian believers.

Indeed, Christ was explicit when He said, "Whoever denies me before men, him I will also deny before my Father in heaven" (Matt. 10:33).

The problem is not that Christians are not respectful enough; it is rather that we confuse silence for respect, for fear we might offend.

I never (to my recollection) referred to Ventilacion as a liar; rather, I said that by his interpretation of the Gospels that denies His divinity, he makes Jesus a liar.

I thank Santos for calling me a "Catholic defender." Since, for any Christian, to defend the Lord is the greatest honor, I must declare this to be the greatest compliment I have ever received, and it is a title I would never have been bold enough to call myself. For such an honor, I am grateful.

JEFFREY L. FITZGERALD

Windward Hills, Yona
Indeed it's an honor to defend Christ and his Body, the Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated by the blog owner.

Thank you and God bless you.

My Blog List

My Calendar