|Photo Source: NewsInfoInquirer|
Following alleged death threats to him and his family, former Iglesia Ni Cristo minister Lowell Menorca has left the Philippines, the Bureau of Immigration said on Monday.
In a tweet, GMA News' Jun Veneracion quoted BI spokesperson Nikki Reyes as saying that Menorca, who had accused Iglesia Ni Cristo officials of illegally detaining him and his family, left Sunday.
"Immigration Spokesperson Nikki Reyes confirms that ex-INC minister Lowell Menorca has left PHL yesterday," read Veneracion's tweet.
The BI did not indicate Menorca's destination.
Earlier in the day, Menorca's legal counsel Trixie Cruz-Angeles manifested before the Court of Appeals that Menorca had told her over the phone Sunday night that they were at the airport ready to depart.
The lawyer said Menorca, his wife Jinky Otsuka-Menorca and their daughter were intially stopped at the airport by officials due to a hold departure order.
Angeles, however, said Menorca later informed her the family was finally allowed to leave.
Reyes told reporters that Menorca took a Cebu Pacific flight that left for Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam at 10:45 p.m. —Mark Merueñas/KBK, GMA News