|(Photo Source: St.Joseph Parish.org)|
Here are some few things used by CULTS and SECTS to PROSELYTIZE "ignorant Catholics" to their fold. Thanks to Cross the Tiber Blog for providing these eye-opener MYTHS about the Catholic Church.
- Because Catholics reject the tradition of "sola fide" ("faith alone"), they think they can work their way into Heaven and believe they are saved by works . WRONG
- Catholics think the pope does not sin . WRONG
- Catholics re-crucify Christ at their Masses (or at least think they do) WRONG
- Catholics worship statues WRONG (for the 150th time on this blog) WRONG
- Catholics think they can't pray to God directly but have to go through saints WRONG
- Catholics conjure the dead WRONG
- Catholics believe people can be saved after they die WRONG
- The Catholic Church teaches that one who isn't formally a Catholic is damned to Hell WRONG
- The Crusades are an example of Catholic aggression WRONG
- The Inquisition(s) killed hundreds of thousands of people and targeted Jews WRONG
- Pope Pius XII was "Hitler's Pope" and didn't do a thing to help Jews during WWII WRONG
- The Catholic Church wasn't around until the time of Constantine, a pagan who controlled the Church. WRONG
- The Catholic Church did more than baptize pagan calendar days for the good of Christ, it is pagan in its very roots. WRONG
"If you believe any of the above myths, I implore you to research. For doctrinal questions, ask the Church what it teaches; it's the only fair thing to do. For historical questions, look at balanced and objective scholarly research from a variety of sources (including Catholic ones). And as you research, keep in mind the common logical fallacies that are often used in attacks against Catholicism:
Generalization: "I knew a Catholic/ex-Catholic (or I was a Catholic) who was (mean, a drunk, not holy, didn't like the Church, was superstitious, didn't know the Bible, didn't have a deep relationship with Jesus, etc.), so therefore, the teachings of the Catholic Church are wrong." (Ignores the fact that bad catechesis, misunderstandings, or other shortcomings of a few Catholics do not reflect on what the Catholic Church teaches)
Bifurcation: "If the Catholic Church doesn't teach that it's faith alone that saves, then it must teach that men are saved by their own works." (Ignores that we teach that we are saved by Grace alone -- a Grace with which we must cooperate through "faith that works in love")
Cum hoc ergo propter hoc (with this, therefore because of this): "Winter Solstice is on 21 December; Christmas is 25 December. Therefore, Christmas is a pagan holiday. (Ignores that fact that there are only 365 days to choose from in a year and that the early Church Fathers had good reasons to choose the date they did. It also ignores that Protestants' "Reformation Day" is celebrated on 31 October, the pagan festival of Samhain.) [And July 27 is celebrated for the birth of INC - admin.]
Post hoc ergo propter hoc (after this, therefore because of this): "Constantine must have been the real source of the Catholic Church's teachings because after his reign the Church grew tremendously, and before his reign it wasn't as well-known" (Ignores the simple fact that Constantine merely stopped the persecution of Christians with the Edict of Milan and allowed Christianity to spread. It also ignores the writings of the Church Fathers who lived before Constantine -- and who were Catholic.)
Straw man: "You guys worship statues, and that's evil. Therefore, your religion is Satanic." (Ignores that fact that we don't worship statues)
Now, that you are equipped with necessary armour, shield yourselves with prayer, faith, knowledge and wisdom against the SNARES of the ENEMY, let us, CATHOLICS, stand up to our FAITH which was handed down to us by our FATHERS which they got DIRECTLY from our LORD JESUS CHRIST and take no provision that in HIM, we are on the right track. That's because we are in the right CHURCH-- the ONE, HOLY, CATHOLIC and APOSTOLIC CHURCH of CHRIST 33 A.D. which Christ himself BUILT upon St. Peter (Kephas).
And here's a bonus for you: A lot of good apologetic articles can be found here at FishEasters.com just as what I quoted above. Enjoy reading and pray for guidance and knowledge. God bless all you Catholics (and non-Catholics) for reading and praying with the Church.